Re: Unicode V4 and ISO

From: Donald Z. Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:25:08 CDT

    Is there a "genealogy" of Unicode/ISO-10646 indicating what in previous
    standards listed in the bibliography did and did not get incorporated?

    Personally I've been interested in knowing about how ISO 6438 (African
    characters) was brought into the current standard. And beyond that how it
    itself was researched. It seems that there is a divergence on various small but
    not insignificant points between it and the African Reference Alphabet (ARA).
    Although the former had its immediate origins in a 1979 "Extended African Latin
    alphabet coded character set for bibliographic information interchange" and the
    latter came out of the 1978 Niamey conference, the two are unfortunately not
    siblings but they are still obviously related somehow (see links at
    http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/#char ).

    The interest is more than just academic as differences between the ARA and
    Unicode/ISO-10646 have previously been discussed on Unicode and on a12n-collab
    (and perhaps Qalam as well). I won't try to summarize these here except to say
    that among them the forms of hooked capitals such as the hooked-K U+0198 and
    hooked-Y U+01B3 in Unicode/ISO-10646 were brought up.

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net

    Selon Patrick Andries <patrick.andries@xcential.com>:

    . . .