Re: Japanese pitch accent representations

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:46:03 CDT

    On 05/09/2004 18:27, John Cowan wrote:

    >The following links show L-shaped marks, apparently combining
    >characters, that indicate the change-of-pitch position in Japanese
    >words written in romaji. Are these novel characters, or can they
    >be identified with existing Unicode characters? Are they really
    >combining?
    >
    >http://member.newsguy.com/~sakusha/dict/martin-je.html
    >
    >http://member.newsguy.com/~sakusha/dict/kenkyusha-je.html

    These could be 231C and 231D, or 02F9 and 02FA (especially if they
    actually do indicate tone), or possibly 2308 and 2309. I don't suppose
    20E7 is suitable. One of them looks a bit like one of the proposed New
    Testament punctuation characters, pipelined for 2E00..2E0C, which is
    perhaps appropriate for a book "with examples like "a student of
    divinity at Oxford University.""

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)