Re: Public Review Issue: UAX #24 Proposed Update

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 06:29:20 CDT

    Jony Rosenne scripsit:

    > The UTC refused to add Yiddish to the name, unlike the other Yiddish
    > specialties, and I am not aware of any other possibility.

    Why should it? Incorporating a language name into a character name,
    as in ABKHASIAN CHE and KHAKASSIAN CHE, is done because those languages
    have a letter named CHE distinct from the more usual, cross-linguistic
    Cyrillic CHE. There is no such contrast in this case: we do not speak of
    LATIN SMALL LETTER ICELANDIC THORN, for example.

    --
    Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
    wise wives welcome the spring           cowan@ccil.org