Re: Questions about diacritics

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 10:45:55 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    >> I also found an acute on diphtongs, placed on the boundary of both
    >> letters (au, ei, eu, oe, and ui).
    >
    > Wouldn't such diacritic be hold by the currently proposed invisible
    > base character (in the Public Review section of the Unicode website),
    > by encoding for example:
    > a,INVISIBLE LETTER,combining acute,u
    > If you think there's a grapheme cluster here, I suggest using ZWJ to
    > attach the three default grapheme clusters:
    > a,ZWJ,INVISIBLE LETTER,combining acute,ZWJ,u
    > to create a kerning ligature between the two vowels.

    I thought one of the unstated, beneficial side effects of INVISIBLE
    LETTER was that it might reduce the need for non-intuitive ZWJ and ZWNJ
    sequences. I may be wrong, though; I haven't followed the INVISIBLE
    LETTER debate very closely.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/