Re: Questions about diacritics

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 12:28:55 CDT

    Good point, but is the ZWNJ control supposed to be used as a base character
    with a defined height? I thought it was just a control for indicating where
    ligatures are preferably to avoid when rendering, leaving it fully ignorable
    if the renderer has no other option than rendering the ligature. For this
    application, the following character was a base character.
    Other uses of ZWNJ before diacritics are in Indic scripts, or in the Hebrew
    proposals (in Public Review for Meteg), to control the meaning of the
    following character.

    So I do think that the LateX2e "compound word mark" should map to
    <ZWNJ,INVISIBLE LETTER> rather than just ZWNJ...
    The "(-)burg" abbreviation as "(-)b˘g" (with a non-spacing but non-combining
    breve) should then be encoded with the invisible letter, in combination with
    ZWNJ to make it non-spacing.)