RE: Questions about diacritics

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 22:02:02 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On
    > Behalf Of Philippe Verdy

    > > Since INVISIBLE LETTER is spacing, wouldn't it make more sense to
    define

    > Isn't rather INVISIBLE LETTER *non-spacing* (zero-width minimum), even
    > though it is *not combining* ?

    The intent in the proposal is to have a character that

    - has text-processing properties like a letter
    - has no glyph outline but has some amount of positive advance width

    IIRC, the scenario of IL *not* followed by a combining mark was not one
    explicitly discussed by the proposers before preparing their proposal. I
    would consider it a possibility that the advance width could be in
    proportion to the width of the combining mark; it might be considered a
    logical extension of that idea to say that the advance width could
    reduce to 0 in the event the maximum width of marks combining with the
    IL were 0 (i.e. there are no visible combining marks), but that was not
    a specific intent of the proposal.

    Peter Constable