Counting (was: Re: bit notation in ISO-8859-x is wrong)

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 12:46:34 CST

    In some countries when a person tells you their age it will be one year
    greater than the way we count in Europe & North America. In these
    countries as soon as a baby is born it is called "one year old" (i.e. in
    it's first year), and after a year it is two.

    This is complicated further in Tibet where they count the years of a
    person's life from the last New Year rather than their birth date.
    There, if a baby is born two days before their new year's day it will be
    called two years old when it is only three days old since it is in it's
    second colander year.

    Our way of counting seems as illogical to them as theirs does to us.

    Just shows you shouldn't take numbering systems for granted.

    - Chris