Re: Egyptological Transliteration Characters

From: saqqara (saqqara@csi.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 17:10:11 CST

    Dean Snyder wrote at 09:15 -0400 2004-10-19:

    > * Yod
    > The proposed characters are already covered by:
    > 1EC8 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH HOOK ABOVE
    > 1EC9 LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH HOOK ABOVE

    The lower case form is similar in appearance agreed but the upper case mark
    is to the top left, not above.

    > * Ayin
    > Both Egyptian and Semitic transliterations commonly use the left single
    > quotation mark to transliterate ayin, with Egyptian sometimes exhibiting
    > a glyphic, i.e. font, variant. I submit that small transliteration ayin
    > is already covered by one of the following Unicode characters, requiring
    > us only to encode a corresponding capital form of the character:
    > 2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
    > 02BD MODIFIER LETTER REVERSED COMMA
    > 02BF MODIFIER LETTER LEFT HALF RING
    > 02C1 MODIFIER LETTER REVERSED GLOTTAL STOP

    I think you will actually find little trace of the quotation mark for
    Egyptian transliteration in published work although I look forward to
    hearing of examples Dean! The modern Egyptian Ayin convention is pretty much
    established by end 19th century. Modern computer software all uses this
    form.

    Bob Richmond
    Saqqara Technology