Re: CSS3, Unicode BIDI, and Vertical Text Layout

From: Philipp Reichmuth (reichmuth@web.de)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 15:37:07 CST

    Jony Rosenne schrieb:
    > In my understanding, there is no interaction between bidi and vertical text.
    > Whether you write rtl text top to bottom or bottom to top has nothing to do
    > with bidi. When you mix rtl and ltr you would normally continue writing them
    > in logical order when you write ttb or btt. Rtl and ltr are only meaningful
    > in horizontal writing.

    In theory, you could have bits of both rtl and ltr, embedded in vertical
    text, then you have the bidi problem again. Whether it is a problem
    partly depends on whether you want your glyphs rotated.

    You might want to take a look at the directionality documentation for
    the Omega extensions of the TeX typesetting system, where they tried to
    come up with a coherent, universal directionality model that includes
    rotation and even mirroring of characters:
    http://omega.enstb.org/papers/directions.pdf .

    Philipp