shaping rule? Re: proposals I wrote (and also, didn't write)

From: Peter R. Mueller-Roemer (pmr@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 08:36:53 CST

    E. Keown wrote:

    > Elaine Keown
    > Vancouver
    >
    >Dear Philippe and Lists:
    >

    >Hebrew code points are already in 2 blocks.
    >
    >If the UTC had done any kind of appropriate research
    >in the late 1980s, they would have made the main
    >Hebrew block larger.
    >
    >In the so-called 'deprecated' block, the 2nd Hebrew
    >block in the BMP, are composed Hebrew points which I
    >plan to go on using. And I expect everyone else to go
    >on using them also, all Hebraists. We think they are
    >needed for 'text representation' of shin and sin.

    In AraiUni.ttf the 1st Hebrew block works pretty well except that
    vowel-points and Hebrew accents do not combine under a consonant but the
    the accent seems to add a space, so that the single word wajalad (& (he)
    was born 8?)) looks like 2 words waja lad - ugly.
    I find it too cumbersome so keep 4 different single dots around to
    compose shin and sin with dagesh and hireq (possible in the 1st block).
    The precomposed shin, sin and others I was glad to find in the 2nd
    block, but they disappointed me because they refuse to be (pointed or)
    accented, so that I can't even copy the first verse from the bible (BHS)
    not even the first word!

    The segolat accent does not look close to the segol(at) vowel, it looks
    like a 3-dot reverse breve.

    Are there any shaping rules in Unicode that I have missed?

    Word 2002 does confusing things to the cursor when entering Latin and Hebrew
    on the same line. Outlook express and even OpenOffice do much better.

    Peter R. Mueller-Roemer