RE: Roundtripping Solved

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 14:48:16 CST

            Maybe you, but don't speak for the rest of the list, please. If you
    can't see it in the broad sense, then look closer. "Makefile" and
    "makefile" are the most common case.

    > And, I don't see what is impossible about it.

            Things that are impossible that I've noticed so far:

            - A metainformation system without holes in it.

            - Addressing files with intermixed locales reliably. In a UTF-8
    and ISO 8859-1 mixed environment, for instance, there is no way to know
    whether <c3> <a9> indicates "é" or "é". The Unix locale architecture does
    not permit mixed locales. What you propose is a locale of "ISO 8859-1 or
    UTF-8, your guess is as good as mine".

            - A scheme that translates all possible Unix filenames to unique
    and consistent Windows filenames. Case issues alone kill this.

    /|/|ike

    "Tumbleweed E-mail Firewall <tumbleweed.com>" made the following
     annotations on 12/20/04 12:51:12
    This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.