RE: So how about U+D7FD for a NOP then?

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 16:44:34 CST

    > Imagine if the codepoint U+D7FD were reserved as NOP, having
    > properties which
    > essentially made it completely ignorable and invisible. It
    > could simply be
    > thrown away, whereever it were encounted.

    I *think* that this was exactly what Unicode were thinking of with U+FEFF, but ISO were thinking of ZWNBS for the same codepoint and merging Unicode and ISO 10646 lead to the ambiguity.

    However I have only the vaguest notion that this is the history and won't be at all surprised if someone corrects me.

    Regards,
    Jon Hanna
    Work: <http://www.selkieweb.com/>
    Play: <http://www.hackcraft.net/>