Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 07:24:14 CST

    Doug Ewell a écrit :
    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    But this is in fact not the right question. русский.com (the non-
    spoofed one) may belong to a Russian multinational company with a
    multilingual website.

    This was exactly the scenario I was thinking of.  In fact, for quite a
    while I did have a link from my page to a Russian site that happened to
    provide a good list of ISO 4217 codes.  The rest of the site, other than
    the list, was almost entirely in Russian and seemed like a good
    candidate for a Cyrillic IDN.

    Well, I would say that the first time you go to that site an alert should be raised (if you don't know Russian, cf. HTTP language preferences) but that through some mechanism your next visit to this Cyrillic IDN site will raise no alert (something similar to cookie treatment or simply adding a site to bookmarks indicates you know the site and no spoofing alert should be raised).

    P. A.