Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 04:17:44 CST

    On 13/02/2005 01:54, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    > Um, this is actually a very *good* idea, I think. If I'm about to
    > click on "paypal.com" and my browser shows me (on the status line,
    > where I always look, or else in a tooltip) that I'm about to go to
    > xn--paypl-7ve.com, that probably is a pretty good warning. It won't be
    > perfect, and won't catch, say, using non-Latin characters from one
    > script to spoof those in another non-Latin, but even if people know
    > little about Punycode, they ought to be able to see that the URL
    > doesn't look right.

    This warning might stop Latin script users from going to e.g.
    Cyrillic-based spoof sites. But it might offer to a Russian a choice
    between a genuine Russian language IDN made unrecognisable by Punycode
    and an ASCII-based spoof which still looks OK. Guess which they will choose.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)