Re: Kurdish Q: (was Re: IDN problem.... :()

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 18:49:18 CST

    On 15/02/2005 00:10, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Then, if you want to carry on further about the case for or
    >against encoding a Cyrillic letter qu for the Cyrillic orthography
    >for Kurdish (in the former Soviet Union and obsolete) ...

    It is not obsolete. At least it certainly wasn't about five years ago
    when I saw a new publication in this script. It is used by the Kurdish
    community in Armenia (an interesting group, mostly Yezidis rather than
    Muslims) and by those who have recently migrated to Russia and perhaps
    elsewhere. I have a contact who can provide more details if necessary.

    Don't forget that there is also a Cyrillic W in this script.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)