Re: 03F3 j Greek Letter yot (was Re: IDN problem.... :( )

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 17:08:42 CST

    On 15/02/2005 18:34, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 13:10 -0500 2005-02-15, Patrick Andries wrote:
    >
    >>> But there are non-casing characters in casing scripts, e.g. Cyrillic
    >>> palochka, apostrophes etc used as letters in some scripts, and
    >>> arguably German sharp S.
    >>>
    >> Interesting question. I wonder if there a lot more unicameral letters
    >> in bicameral scripts...
    >

    > I have discovered palochka to have regular case in handwriting.
    >
    > I think the default state is "casing" apart from letters where it
    > really isn't possible or sensible to try to make casing letterforms
    > for them. Why? Because evidence shows, again and again, people
    > innovate case where it wasn't there originally.

    And at least one Cyrillic language sometimes has cased apostrophes,
    differing only in height. You have also shown casing in an
    apostrophe-like letter used in Egyptian transliteration.

    So are we likely to see proposals for lower case palochka, upper case
    sharp S etc? I think a proposal for the latter has been presented to
    WG2, but what happened to it? And what are the other implications of
    introducing such rarely used casing pairs?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)