Detecting mixed writing system (Re: IDN problem.... :()

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 10:22:53 CST

    Patrick Andries a écrit :

    > The system does not need to be foolproof I believe, it simply servers
    > to help the user identify the most obvious problems (a setting could
    > be made available whereby the user could say that he wants to be
    > warned of mixed scripts across parts of the address [he about never
    > goes on a non English site for example] or allow them [he does]).

    I agree with Erik van der Poel's suggestion to detect mixed writing
    systems (the several scripts used by Japanese should cause no concern)
    rather than mixed scripts, so maybe the setting by default should be to
    allow a single writing system in SLD, TLD (not necessarily the same),
    etc., a more refined setting for advanced users and rare occasions would
    allow a user-selected list of writing systems (and thus scripts) to mix
    in a single part of an URI.

    P. .A