diacritic spoofing (Re: orthographies)

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 08:08:26 CST

    Philippe Verdy a écrit :

    >If we don't care about compatibility with past legacy charsets, then we
    >don't need to desunify diacritics.

    Similar-looking (non compatibility) diacritics can also have different
    behaviours (for example in their respective stacking order), I see this
    as a legitimate reason to desunify similar-looking diacritics used by
    different scripts. Otherwise, I guess script-specific diacritics that
    look and behave(*) like generic diacritics may well embody some spoofing
    potential.

    P.A.

    (*) This is relative since generic combining marks may adopt several
    slightly variant representations and behave slightly differently across
    the languages that use them.