Re: Codepoint Differentiation

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 02:07:26 CST

    At 04:44 PM 2/21/2005, UList@dfa-mail.com wrote:
    >Hello,
    >

    >1. Then it sound like:
    >
    > - Serbian Cyrillic Small "t"

    This should be handled by language dependent glyph selection.
    That's a standard feature in OpenType and there's no need to
    duplicate that facility in the encoding.

    (Unless I misunderstand this example).

    > - Coptic letterforms for Greek letter codepoints

    Already being encoded in 4.1 in a new "Coptic" block. The unification of
    these has been considered a mistake - it took a while to rectify as we
    needed to research what precisely the Coptic repertoire should be.

    >- complete Archaic Greek and Asia Minor scripts aligned to Greek letter
    >codepoints

    Rather than messing with variation selectors, this is best handled by using
    fonts that are specific to archaic use.

    Where it's a question of a a different script - be patient, it's probably
    slated to be encoded.

    It's a common problem that archaic scripts use different shapes at
    different times for the same characters. Sometimes, the answer may be that
    it's really two different scripts, in which case the precursor can be coded
    separately. Sometimes, it's reasonable to ask users to use a different font
    for a given period. Sometimes, a specific higher level protocol should be
    developed to handle specific problems of scholarly representation of text.

    As a last resort, variation selectors might be used in some instances - but
    not as a blanket approach.

    >are exactly what the Variation Selectors were designed for. There are no
    >issues other than a smart font substituting an alternate glyph. They can
    >default in a "low-fidelity" rendering to the primary codepoint glyphs. I would
    >welcome individual codepoints for them, but Unicode has already decided
    >otherwise. There is a clear need to be able to access the glyphs somehow, on a
    >device which has only one general Unicode font installed.

    As stated above (and as others have pointed out) your premise is incorrect
    for many of your examples. Not everything that requires glyph substitution
    should be encoded via variation selectors.

    A./