Re: String name and Character Name

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 08:21:41 CST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]On
    Behalf Of Otto Stolz
    Sent: 25 April 2005 14:09
    To: Unicode List
    Subject: Re: String name and Character Name

    > - TUS 16.1 suggests to implementors presenting the aliases together
    > with the character names, in user interfaces. I deem this a viable
    > solution for user interfaces in English.

    Yes.

    ...except that the aliases are currently not machine-readable. They exist only
    as human-readable annotations in a PDF file. Okay, granted, one could write a
    PDF-parser, but that's a hell of a lot more difficult than just writing a
    plain-text-parser. Therefore, I suggest that the CDLR solution may be a better
    one (and it would work for user-interfaces which were /not/ in English too).

    Jill