Re: Ligatures fi and ffi

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 06:04:44 CDT

    On 02/06/05, Antoine Leca <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org> wrote:
    > On Wednesday, June 1st, 2005 17:00Z James Kass wrote:
    >
    > > Antoine Leca wrote,
    > >
    > >> Unless of course you aggregate all the scripts of India into an
    > >> unique "Indian script." [...present font] is unable to correctly
    > >> join e.g. U+0915 with U+09BE; and I never actually see the second.
    > >
    > > Is Devanagari Letter KA supposed to join with a Bengali vowel sign?
    >
    > Nothing in the Unicode model would prevent such a thing (as well as a long
    > list of "illogical strings".)
    >
    > Then, /if/ you agglomerate all the Indian scripts together, there is no
    > excuse for a rendering engine to escape this.
    >
    > Of course, I cannot defend the "/if/" above, so that is pure conjecture, and
    > I do not ask James or Paul (for Uniscribe) to put some of their spare
    > resources to fix this ;-).

    I don't think that this is a Uniscribe issue, as one font on my
    system, YNLCserif (downloadable from
    <http://dl2.yukoncollege.yk.ca/ynlc/ynlcfonts/ynlcfontsindex.html>)
    does display <0915 09BE> and other Devanagari/Bengali hybrids
    correctly (irrespective of which version of Uniscribe is used).
    However, I'm not sure that Code2000's failure to ligate 0915 and 09BE
    should be considered a problem that needs fixing.

    Andrew