Re: JIS X 0208 mappings in Unihan.txt

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@vanderpoel.org)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 13:07:34 CDT

    Theo Veenker wrote:
    > But I understand that there is a big difference between
    > the 78 and 83 version. According to
    > http://www.io.com/~kazushi/encoding/jis.html
    > in the 83 version not only were characters added, but also many changed
    > or exchanged (whatever that means).

    The changed characters had their glyphs changed, often in small ways.
    See p. 920-922 in CJKV. The exchanged characters involved swapping 22
    pairs of simplified and traditional characters (p. 919, Category 3). The
    "added and exchanged" characters involve 4 pairs of simplified and
    traditional characters where the simplified form was not in 78 but is in
    83, at the position occupied by the traditional form in 78 (p. 919,
    Category 2).

    > Also for the 90 version were characters
    > changed. If this is really true, aren't the revised character sets
    > incompatible with the earlier versions?

    I suppose some people would consider these changes to be big enough to
    call them "incompatible". I still don't know whether there are any high
    quality Unicode mapping tables for the 78 and 83 versions. I thought
    John Jenkins might make comments in this thread, but so far, no luck. I
    did notice that the last pair of characters shown on CJKV p. 922
    _appears_(?) to have been given separate Unicodes on p. 1201 of the
    Unicode 4.0 book, near the bottom (Spoon radical, U+5315 and U+2090E).

    Erik