Re: Arabic Joining Classes

From: Andreas Prilop (nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 12:02:02 CDT

    Bob_Hallissy@sil.org wrote:

    >> Sounds reasonable to me. But I don't know any font that has initial
    >> and medial glyphs for U+0649. Do you?
    >
    > Yes: the two fonts available from http://scripts.sil.org/arabicfonts

    Thank you!

    >> Is there any evidence/proof that initial and medial glyphs exist?
    >> How should they look like? Are there any fonts that contain such glyphs?
    >
    > The fonts mentioned above have initial and medial glyphs of 06BA.

    Hmm, is there any difference between initial and medial glyphs for
    U+0649 and U+06BA? Me thinks they should look the same. How do you
    distinguish them?

    But do you have evidence that a left-joining "nun-e ghunna" actually
    exists in Urdu usage? I have never seen this and the fonts available
    to me have no such glyphs. Test your fonts here:
     http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/unicode/unidata06.html#x06BA