Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 18:27:32 CDT

    On 11/06/2005 22:03, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >Yes, you're right. I was aiming for something that allowed for cursive
    >joining, but prevented ligation, ...
    >
    >I was hoping to avoid such a complex condition, and have a simpler
    >replacement policy. Unfortunately, ZW(N)J are overloaded for cursive
    >joining
    >and ligation behaviour, CGJ does not affect joining/ligation, neither
    >does
    >WJ (according to TUS 4, which need not be the same as current practice,
    >as
    >they may not be "supported").

    This does seem to be the problem. But I note from Table 8-3 that "most
    format control characters (General Category Cf) are transparent to
    cursive joining", but also that most of them other than ZWJ inhibit
    ligation. So surely the answer is to choose a Cf character other than
    ZWJ which has no other unsuitable characteristics. I'm not sure if there
    is one, but I would think that if there is not a control character which
    inhibits ligation but is transparent to cursive joining, there ought to
    be such a character.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)