Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@vanderpoel.org)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 00:29:53 CDT

    > So pretty much do we have the technology today to individually color both
    > regular joining characters and also parts of ligatures then?

    The OpenType spec appears to include fairly advanced mechanisms (see
    e.g. contextual substitution), but there may not be very many fonts that
    include ligature component info suitable for coloring in the way we have
    been discussing. I'm guessing that the obligatory ligatures normally
    consist of single glyphs (not multiple glyphs with positioning info).
    There probably aren't very many system libraries and applications that
    support ligature component coloring either. Maybe someone can mention
    the names of fonts, system libraries and/or applications that actually
    support this. Adobe, Apple, Microsoft?

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/gsub.htm

    Erik