Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 15:56:07 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:
    > Take MS Word for example. You can make selections at the character level
    > and apply colour
    to the glyphs that represent the selected characters.

    Which version? It doesn't work for Thai vowels in Word 2002. For Thai I
    can colour the vowels separately with an 8-bit font like DB ThaiText, but
    not with a Unicode font such as Arial, Tahoma or Angsana New.

    > It is possible (globally in Word, using complex script mark display
    > options) to
    independently colour the combining hamza because it is identified as a
    'mark' in the GDEF
    table.

    Again, which version? I tried with Word 2002 (Thai edition, I presume -
    10.2627.2625), but I couldn't get combining hamza above (U+0654) to combine.
    I tried several fonts - Trebuchet MS 1.23, Andalus 1.01, Traditional Arabic
    1.01, Arabic Transparent 1.01. It was always offset to the left. Perhaps I
    had the wrong base letter - my knowledge of the Arabic script is chiefly
    based on uncomputerised Farsi plus a few snippets from Wright. When I tried
    damma (U+064F), it lost its independent colour as soon as I converted the
    hex digits to the encoded character with alt-x.

    I did some more experimentation with Firefox. Its behaviour seems bizarre -
    it definitely feels buggy. Sometimes a following space seems to restore the
    missing Thai vowel, which does have the requested colour whenever it
    appears.

    Richard.