RE: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 06:44:11 CDT

    Not necessarily - we are discussing the plain text aspects of rich text.
    Rich text is plain text with "decoration".

    > Inserting mark-up tags between characters which would normally
    > ligate or shape or re-position breaks the run of text.

    I think that the high level protocol, such as HTML or CSS or XML, should
    define that. My reading of HTML and CSS is that inline markup does not break
    the run. The display engine should extract the plain text of the run, apply
    the relevant Unicode algorithms such as bidi, mirroring and Arabic shaping,
    and then apply the rich text decoration to the result as best as possible.

    Jony