Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 21:43:28 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:

    > Mark Davis wrote:
    >
    >> It is always possible to replace a ligature by a sequence of shapes
    >> which,
    >> when put together, form the ligature shape.
    >

    > Yes, although I can think of some traditional Greek ligatures that
    > would be hard to break into shape sequences that obviously correspond
    > to the underlying characters. Knowing which parts of a Latin fi
    > ligature correspond to which underlying characters, and hence which
    > might be rendered as separate and independently coloured shaped, is
    > not difficult. Something like the attached graphic is trickier.

    What about Devanagari K-SHA? I can't disassemble that at all. Nor
    J-NYA. It's still true that there exists a sequence of shapes which
    forms the ligature shape: that's true for any shape larger than one
    pixel (and even one-pixel shapes, if we allow one-member sequences or
    empty shapes). I think we simply cannot ever count on a computer being
    able mechanically to pick out which part of a ligature belongs to what
    element.

    ~mark

    devdemo.gif