Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 02:15:49 CDT

    Mark Shoulson wrote:

    > What about Devanagari K-SHA? I can't disassemble that at all. Nor
    J-NYA.

    There are, of course, claims that these should be letters, especially jña
    with its rather odd pronunciations. For ks.a I'd put the break at the upper
    point where the curve crosses itself. For jña I'd say the final downward
    stroke was the ña part.

    > I think we simply cannot ever count on a computer being
    able mechanically to pick out which part of a ligature belongs to what
    element.

    No-one was suggesting this. OpenType layout controls may provide crude
    positioning information for cursor placement within a ligature, but 2-D
    placement is really needed, as for example in the Word equation editor.
    While ks.a shows the normal top-to-bottom ordering, this jña is almost
    right-to-left! The point is that the computer has to be told the analysis
    of the ligature.

    Richard.