Re: [Fwd: Re: Colouring combining Marks]

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 00:09:51 CDT

    Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >> In visual, embedded numbers and English are typed reversed, in visual
    >> order,
    >> while in logical order they are typed naturally and the software does the
    >> RTL/LTR processing.

    > In Arabic, this notion of "natural" ordering is just plain wrongo.
    > Meaningless. Is it different in Hebrew?

    Jony seems to be relating 'natural' simply to input order, the order in which characters
    are 'typed naturally'. I think this is a reasonable use of natural -- although perhaps
    'input order' is a better phrase --: you don't type Arabic backwards because it goes from
    right-to-left. Natural order, in this sense, if I understand Jony correctly, is really
    direction-agnostic. It is neither left-to-right nor right-to-left, but is waiting to have
    directionality applied to it. However, it happens that sometimes one needs to describe or
    list the natural order of a sequence of characters, and at that point one needs
    *conventionally* to do so all in one direction. The common convention seems to be
    left-to-right, but this convention should not be confused with directional text.
    Personally, I think we could avoid this confusion if we adopted a convention of listing
    input order character sequences bottom-to-top :)

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com