Re: Tamil sha (U+0BB6) - deprecate it?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 18:39:45 CDT

    At 21:05 +0100 2005-06-26, Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:
    >More than anything, it is a gradual attempt to make the last
    >remaining Indian language Sanskritised without sound technical
    >reasons. I do not think it is the duty of Unicode to be part of this
    >extra ordinary plot. You can see that all other Indic languages are
    >already converted.

    Mr Srivas shows himself here to have a singularly unscientific.

    >English is the worlds advanced language at the moment. ask those
    >wish to deprecate Tamil, if they would be interested in giving up
    >Indic for English. The out cry will be forceful. It is because Tamil
    >has no defence, no Government, being subordinate citizens, unable to
    >stop this kinds of attack.

    The Tamil script is under attack from NO ONE.

    >It is not Unicode's duty to destroy Tamil. It has the worlds
    >earliest written, highly sophisticated Grammar.

    Tamil is not more special than any other language, and this assertion
    with regard to its antiquity is unsubstantiated.

    >Sanskrit evolved half from Tamil and now in the form of Indic want
    >to destroy it through Unicode. All those struggles of Tamils over
    >some hundreds of years is being dismantled by Unicode. This must
    >stop.

    This is nothing but a pack of lies. Mr Srivas, I will not communicate
    with you further on the topic of Tamil encoding. You have not
    demonstrated yourself to be a credible expert. Quite the opposite.