Re: Tamil Collation vs Transliteration/Transcription Enc Version2

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 17:26:07 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:

    > Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:

    >> Unlike Latin comparison, all Indic languages were changed by this
    >> method. Tamil has it's own system. Allowing script against the rules of
    >> Grammar will break the Grammar, probably as the first attack. It is
    >> billion strong and has the desire to break Tamil. I hope you see this
    >> with understanding.

    >No, I don't understand it at all.

    > Would you be happier if characters such as the 'sha' were encoded in a
    > 'Tamil Extension' block, where it would be clearer that they are not part
    > of the Tamil writing system as laid out in the earliest Grammar? I'm not
    > saying that this is a possibility; I'm just trying to understand the
    > nature of your political or cultural complaint against what seems to me a
    > merely practical character encoding.

    SS is clearly an enthusiastic follower of the Pure Tamil Movement. I expect
    he would allow SHA in the Tamil Grantha *block*, but no closer. I wonder
    how he feels about Saurashtra being written in the Tamil script (
    http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=saz for a bit more detail
    than in the Unicode Book). Incidentally, how should the superscript numbers
    for distinguishing consonants be collated? Second level differences? First
    level? What about the colon? Has anyone any information?

    Richard.