RE: Lowercase in one script, capital in another

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 11:16:23 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf
    > Of Chris Harvey

    > U+028C LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED V (Used in the Oneida langauge)
    > The capital of ‘ʌ’ should look like U+039B GREEK CAPITAL LETTER LAMDA;
    > should one use this as a capital turned v? Or is having one “letter” in
    > two scripts unadvisable.

    The character U+0244 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER TURNED V has been accepted.

    > The Heiltsuk language uses a lowercase Greek lamda ‘λ’ for the [dl] sound,

    Well, saying it's a *Greek* lambda presumes the very question you're leading up to.

    > however its capital is an upside-down Latin Y (proposal in the works). My
    > question here is whether there needs to be a new Latin lowercase lamda to
    > pair with the soon-to-be-proposed Latin capital Lamda. I would think that
    > this is similar to the epsilon ‘ε’, which has both a Greek and Latin
    > codepoint. Or is it good enough to use the Greek lamda U+03BB here.

    I would propose LATIN SMALL LETTER LAMBDA. We really don't want a case pair from two different scripts. (BTW, there is a latin small lambda *with stroke* -- U+019B.)

    Peter Constable