Re: Arabic encoding model

From: asadek@st-elias.com
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 14:33:46 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>

    > How about initial ignorance of just how many of these combinations there were?

    I'll take ignorance.

    > The Latin script is partly helped by the tradition that vowels
    > might be combined with any accent, though in many fonts the
    > combinations are pretty poor. The concept that the a base Arabic
    > form could be combined with any combination of distinguishing dots
    > (or other marks) wasn't formed,

    You mean understood by the Unicode and ISO experts?

    >and would now be stymied by the
    > 'stability pact' that requires that anything that is now in Normal
    > Form Composed or Normal Form Decomposed remain so for ever.

    I see: stuck with mistake, are we?

    > So far as I am aware, there is no way of composing such new consonants.

    How about the simultaneous (I think) and recent (after the stability normalisation pact) encoding of combining SMALL V and precomposed U+0756 Bā' with SMALL V? Why encode a precompose character now?

    > Richard.

    Ashraf Sadek

    --
    St Elias Coptic Community