Re: Arabic encoding model

From: asadek@st-elias.com
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 16:52:44 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Bob_Hallissy@sil.org

    > On 2005-07-03 08:33:46 PM asadek wrote:
    >
    > > How about the simultaneous (I think) and recent (after the
    > > stability normalisation pact) encoding of combining SMALL V and
    > > precomposed U+0756
    > Bā'
    > > with SMALL V? Why encode a precompose character now?
    >
    > 0756 is *not* a precomposed character: there is no decomposition defined
    > for it.

    Isn't this a bit of an definition trick? Less define a decomposition and it is a precomposed character. You rather have to explain why this definition is missing than use it as an argument.

    > Therefore 0756 is *not* the same as 066E+065A

    By the lack of a decomposition definition, let's remedy this.

    > Note also that as used in African languages, 0756 is a consonant, not a
    > consonant +vowel, and 065A is a vowel, used in syllable construction with
    > a number of consonants.

    Pronunciation is often of secondary importance (h is not pronounced in French, Italian, and pronounced differently in Croatian and English for instance).

    But how would 066E + 065A appear and behave typographically differently than 0756? This is after all a character encoding not a pronunciation one.

    Ashraf Sadek

    --
    St Elias Coptic Community