RE: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 17:12:34 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Jukka K. Korpela

    > Anyway, when you use U+0048 U+0331, you are asking programs to
    construct a
    > rendering by adding a line under to "H", whereas for E+1E96, programs
    may
    > use a glyph from a suitable font.

    I don't know about anybody else's software, but in MS software both
    would be assumed to be handled by using appropriate glyphs from a
    suitable font.

    > So the rendering mechanisms can be
    > rather different. In current software, the dynamic construction of
    > characters with diacritic marks is usually qualitatively poor and does
    not
    > really correspond to the Unicode standard's idea of such construction.

    That generalization is not true of MS' current Windows and Office
    software.

    > I'm afraid there is not much you can do, except perhaps try another
    > program and/or another font, if possible. (In a simple test, I noticed
    > that using Arial Unicode MS, U+0048 U+0331 looks rather bad - the line
    > under is positioned too much on the left

    Well, I'm not sure what software or version of Arial Unicode MS you're
    using. In current MS software, it comes out perfectly fine:

    > As I wrote, I don't know this piece of history. But given the fact
    that it
    > has no code position now, it is very probable that it will not be
    added.

    Even stronger: it is certain that it will not be added.

    Peter Constable

    image002.jpg