Re: character entities in UTF-8 files

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 19:36:14 CDT

    On 13/07/2005 00:52, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > ... From the Unicode perspective, a sequence of characters like
    > é is just a sequence of 5 distinct characters with no further
    > semantics. Interpreted in accordance with XML, however, such a
    > sequence *must* (not "may") be interpreted as e acute. Note that (if
    > I'm not mistaken) such interpretation logically precedes other
    > parsing. That is, an XML parser will first interpret (i.e.
    > substitute) character *entities*, and then parse the resulting text.
    > So what gets passed from the XML parser to higher-level processors is
    > e acute, not the five character sequence é. ...

    I don't think you can be quite right, at least unless XML is quite
    different from HTML here. For surely in both HTML and XML character
    entities like &lt; can and should be used to replace the character "<"
    when this is not to be interpreted as the start of a tag. This implies
    that character entities are parsed not as the first stage of parsing,
    but only after "<" is recognised as the start of a tag.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)