Re: "The Languages of China" by Ramsey

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 21:45:48 CDT

    Eric Muller wrote:

    > I am in the middle of reading "The languages of China", by S. Robert
    > Ramsey (ISBN 0-691-01468-X). Two questions:
    >
    > - is it good? (I like it very much, but I can't judge if it is good)
    > - have things changed since it was written (1987)?

    I received a number of private answers (thanks!) summarized here for the
    benefit of this list. The consensus is that is a good book. Other
    recommendations:

    DeFrancis, John. "The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy", University of
    Hawaii Press.
    Chen, Ping. "Modern Chinese: History and Sociolinguistics", Cambridge
    University Press.
    Jerry, Norman. "Chinese", Cambridge University Press.

    Also two related links:

    http://www.noncompositional.com/2005/07/unity-and-diversity-in-china/

    http://www.languagehat.com/archives/001978.php

    Thanks again for the answers,