Questions re ISO-639-1,2,3

From: Donald Z. Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 02:34:47 CDT

    I was surprised to find that some 2-letter ISO-639-1 language codes I thought
    were official are not in the list of codes. Specifically:

    bm - Bambara
    ff - Fula (Fulfulde/Pulaar)
    ig - Igbo

    The first two I recall communicating with Indrek Hein about in 2000, and assumed
    they were already adopted. The one for Igbo I found on in a Wikipedia article.

    The next questions are what their status is if any (other than imaginary, I
    guess), and whether it is worth putting those and possibly others forth for
    approval. Or is ISO-639-1 now closed?

    I'm aware of course of ISO-639-2 (3-letter codes) and ISO/DIS-639-3. Am I
    correct in assuming that ISO-639-2 is intended to replace ISO-639-1? Also, what
    is the intended relationship between ISO-639-2 and ISO/DIS-639-3 (once the
    latter is adopted)?

    Thanks in advance.

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net