Re: Letters for Indic transliteration

From: Andreas Prilop (nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 08:47:42 CDT

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Richard Wordingham wrote:

    > Are there actual examples with *real* words? There's no confusion in Pali
    > or Vedic Sanskrit because the consonant represented by underdotted 'l'
    > always occurs next to a vowel, whereas (in modern transliterations) the
    > syllabic resonant never occurs next to a vowel.

    I don't know about Vedic Sanskrit or Pali.
    But every book in Hindi will show you real words with
     U+090B vocalic R (Sanskrit origin)
     U+095C retroflex R

    These are different letters with different pronunciation in Hindi.
    They need to be distinguished in transliteration (since transliteration
    is supposed be one-to-one).
    See also http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html
    Languages: Bengali, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Sinhalese.
    Each of these languages requires both "dot below" and "ring below"
    *at the same time* on "R" or "L" (or both "R" and "L").