Re: Unicode Font Maker

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 11:55:31 CDT

    Adam Reisman wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a program I can use to design unicode fonts?

    Professional tools:
    http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/FontLab-4.6/
    http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/AsiaFont-Studio/
    http://www.fontmaster.nl/english/

    Cheaper options:
    http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/TypeTool/
    http://www.high-logic.com/fcp.html

    Free tools:
    http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

    There is also a new shareware tool available from
    http://www.cr8.netfirms.com/index10.html
    but I have not tried it.

    If you are interested in developing OpenType fonts with glyph substitution and
    positioning, you will also want to take a look at Microsoft's free VOLT tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/VOLT.mspx

    I recommend reading most of the developer links at the MS typography website
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography
    even if your target system is not Windows.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com