Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Adam Reisman (adamreisman@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 13:57:17 CDT

    Has there ever been talk about creating a complete set of right-to-left Hebrew punctuation. I'm having problems with punctuation direction...or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I have no problem when Using MS Word, but when I type up an email in Internet Explorer, the punctuation always jumps to the wrong end of the sentence. Then when I type the next sentence, the punctuation in the previous sentence jumps back to where it's supposed to be. This isn't a problem until I get to the last sentence of a paragraph or if I type a one-sentence line:

    המשפט הראשון בסדר! המשפט השני הוא גם־כן בסדר! אבל הפיסוק למשמפט האחרון עובר להתחלת הטכט!

    In the above example, the exclamation point on the far right, should be on the far left because it belongs to the last sentence.

    שלום!
    In the above example, the word "shalom" should have the exclamation point on the left.

    למה?

    Why?

    Is this a configuration issue I can correct, or is this something I'm doing wrong, or just something that people have to deal with? I can partially solve this by using the gershayim (U+05F4) as quotation marks, and the sof-pasuq (U+05C3) as a colon, but that's not enough. I thought about using Arabic punctuation, because it's coded right-to-left (it has a character I could use as a Hebrew comma, and the semi-colon and question mark are close enough even though they are inverted), but I worry that it will come out garbled when the person I write to tries to read it.

    (as an aside, another reason for Hebrew punctuation would be that in the Times Roman font, the punctuation doesn't match the Frankruhl Hebrew! The Hebrew period and all other punctuation dots should be diamond-shaped).

    Any thoughts or suggestions?

    תודה רבה!!
    Thank you!!

    P.S. Thank you for all who advised me on a font maker. I think Fontforge is the program I will start with, but I will also check out all the shareware suggestions you gave me :-)