Re: You Haven't Seen Ethiopic Until...

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 01:48:07 CST

    Daniel Yacob wrote:

    > You've seen the work of premiere calligrapher Yigezu Bisrat:

    > http://www.yigezubisrat.com/

    I wonder if I'm alone in actually finding Bisrat's calligraphy bizarre and a bit
    disappointing. The Ethiopic script has a venerable indigenous manuscript tradition, but
    Bisrat's calligraphy seems to be pretty much entirely a pastiche of European (principally
    German) models. These models are imaginatively applied to the Ethiopic syllables, but I
    was looking forward to seeing some really fine examples of Ethiopic lettering, not Ge'ez
    Fraktur.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com