Re: Hebrew script in IDN

From: Cary Karp (ck@nic.museum)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 09:06:03 CST

    Quoting Mark E. Shoulson:

    >> That means, what are Yiddish speakers supposed to use?
    >
    > Well, what they *should* use are single letters, not the
    > "ligature" letters. Yod+yod, vav+yod, vav+vav, etc. Yod-yod-patach
    > is a bit of a stumper, though.

    This brings us back to the question I originally asked which then
    took us down a side path. Before telling users what they should be
    doing, shouldn't we first find out what most of them actually are
    doing?

    > Since we can't decompose them, the question is really how do we
    > *stop* Yiddish speakers from using the ligature characters. Not
    > putting them in the IDN set would be a start, I guess.

    There are plenty of cases in IDN where this kind of ambiguity
    results in need for the registration of several alternatives to what
    ideally should only be a single name. As long as the reason for
    doing so is convincing, nobody seems to complain.

    But once again -- which of the two alternate representations of the
    Yiddish digraphs is the one that would appear most natural to the
    largest number of users? I suspect that the answer provided by
    someone approaching the matter from Hebrew perspective would differ
    from the one primarily based on a Yiddish perspective.

    This may be gliding away from the purpose of this list, so it is
    perhaps not worth pursuing further here. ?

    /Cary