Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 05:16:45 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Antoine Leca"
    >> On Tuesday, November 29th, 2005 07:03Z, Chris Jacobs wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What happens when two files have different, but canonical
    >>> equivalent, file names?
    >>
    >> My idea is that you are going to loose, so probably thou shalt not do
    >> that.
    >
    > Why that? The user interface can disambiguate the "user-friendly"

    It can. But it probably would not, at least under normal circomstances. So
    the risk for a bad move is very high here.

    I am not to say the whole concept is useless: I certainly can see ideas,
    being of the rootkits (or the dual, anti-virus and the like) class, or to
    test automatic tools. This is why I used the "Churchish" statement, in an
    intent to make clear one can always encounter exceptions to a rule.

    Antoine