RE: Upper case U+0364 for U+0308

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 16:26:02 CST

    > U+0364 is unambiguously lower case - except if you are

    I'm not entirely against glyph variance...

    > willing to not make
    > a distinction - similar to decrorative fonts that have two
    > sets of uppercase
    > characters (although such uses would be better handled by a case
    > transforming
    > style attribute, something that is widely available nowadays.)

    How many implementations of the "(small)-caps" styles implement
    Unicode (language dependent) case mapping? Too few (as yet),
    I'd guess.

    > The main reason for insisting on that is that in the general
    > case, the long s cannot be placed computationally,
    > If that was NOT the case, then your argument would be a whole
    > lot weaker, like that for (or against) the use of Greek final sigma.

    But we do have a Greek final sigma, and about the only process
    that produces one out of an "ordinary" sigma is case mapping
    (from upper case to lower case). It is not done by any font (I hope)
    when displaying an ordinary lowercase sigma in the final position
    of a word.

    (It's a bit inconsistent that LONG S has a decomposition mapping to
    round s, but FINAL SIGMA does not have a decomposition mapping to
    ordinary small sigma.)

                    /kent k