Re: Ellipsis

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 01:10:16 CST

    Peter Constable wrote:
    >> From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    > On Behalf
    >> Of Kenneth Whistler
    >

    >> At any rate, we seem to be reaching consensus that whether the
    >> full stop goes at the .beginning or the end. of the <....>
    >> sequences, there is no need for separate encoding of that
    >> fabulous, mythic beast, the FOUR DOT ELLIPSIS.
    >
    > A good thing too, since someone would inevitably want to use a four-dot
    > ellipsis along with a full stop before or after, necessitating the FIVE
    > DOT ELLIPSIS.

    The solution is clear: set aside a whole plane of Unicode as the SEP
    (supplementary ellipsis plane). For example, let the SEP be plane 8,
    then encode U+80004 FOUR DOT ELLIPSIS, U+80005 FIVE DOT ELLIPSIS etc.
    through U+8FFFF SIXTY FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED THIRTY FIVE DOT
    ELLIPSIS, which should be enough for most purposes.