Re: [almost OT] Music score with RTL lyrics

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 10:56:41 CST

    From: "Andreas Prilop" <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de>
    > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/debout.html
    >>
    >> In IE7, I don't see any difference between the two modes:
    >> View > Encoding > Right to Left document
    >> View > Encoding > Left to Right document
    >
    > This is strange! Then please view with Mozilla or Firefox
    > to understand what I mean.

    It does not change things. Both document orientations are rendered the same, i.e.:
    (1) within the Hebrew paragraph with maqafs out of spans:
    * with Hebrew words and syllables rendered from left to right
    * and letters within syllables ordered from right to left.
    (2) within the Hebrew paragrpah without maqafs:
    * words, syllabes and letters all rendered right to left.
    (3) within the two Latin paragraphs at the top:
    * words, syllables and letters all rendered left to right.

    This is what you intended I think (to show that stylesheets canbe used to change the rendering order of syllables and words, without requiring the text to be encoded in non-logical order).

    IE7 and IE6 consider both internal and external stylesheets, it does not matter because neither is ignored)... I don't think that IE7 is wrong here, as it conforms to the CSS specifications for the "bidi-override:" style, and to the normal Unicode specification for the "bidi-override:embed" style that you have used.

    The only thing that the document orientation setting changes, is the side where the vertical scrollbar appears (when the window height is smaller than the document height), which is opposed to the side of the initial margin. So in this document, where paragraphs are centered, this just gives a small horizontal shift for the centering position of paragraphs, but does not incluence their rendering.

    I have the same results in Firefox... (May be it was wrong in IE6, but I don't have IE6 now to test it here, all my machines have FireFox too)

    So what is strange here?

    Remember this: when you create an element with a CSS "bidi-override:", this override applies and forces the ordering whatever the document ordering is, and whatever the unicode characters are, so that they will all take the direction specified in the CSS "direction:" style or otherwise in the html "dir=" attribute. When you use "bidi-override: embed" the ordering of spans specified by the CSS direction style or HTML attribute is kept but the direction of characters is restored to their normal Unicode Bi-Di behavior (whatever the HTML/CSS span direction is).

    Without using HTML/CSS, in a plain-text document, you could get the same results using Unicode Bidi overrides as well.