Re: Script L

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 06:21:57 CST

    Asmus Freytag writes,

    > If such a thing happens in modern notation (or significant historic
    > notation) we might consider adding such a character outside
    > any given math alphabet. A lot would depend on the circumstance
    > there.
    >
    > Care to share some details.
    > A./

    I attach a couple of images to show the script L. The book is L'Astronomie
    Indienne, by Roger Billard, École française d'Extrême-Orient, Paris, 1971.
    The images are from pp 34, 36, but the notation is found throughout the
    book. The dot at the end of 'two.jpg' is just a full stop. The characters
    indicate respectively mean and true planetary longitude, the latter
    indicated by the L with the stroke.
    This notation is peculiar to Billard's book, but there is not really an
    accepted standard notation in this subject in any language. In the English
    literature one is more likely to find lambda, perhaps with a macron to mark
    mean longitude, borrowing from the notation of statistical physics. I am not
    mad about Billard's notation, and might well choose something else.

    Raymond