RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 16:03:49 CST

    I'm completely unable to reproduce your problems: if I select Arial =
    Unicode MS as my Latin-script font, the Bengali (for instance) on your =
    page still displays correctly.

    > Unfortunately, "Arial Unicode MS" pretends supporting Bengali, Oriya,
    > Telugu and Malayalam (for Oriya, it just contains the national digit
    > characters, and for the 3 others it has enough glyphs but lacks the
    > OpenType layout and shaping tables).

    Your statement about Oriya and only "national digit characters" is simply incorrect, as evidenced by the attached screenshot.

    > In other words, no font should mix simple scripts and complex scripts,
    > unless complex scripts are fully supported. Arial Unicode MS (and a few
    > others like Tahoma regarding Arabic and Hebrew scripts) is such a
    > defective font

    Tahoma supports Hebrew and Arabic - it is not a "defective font".

    > Such bug does not occur in Notepad, only because it uses a single font
    > context for the whole document, and it uses font lookup only for fallbacks
    > of base characters without glyphs in the current font. So there's no "fast
    > check" performed prior to render the text. However the Notepad
    > implementation, if it is accurate, is very slow to render in the case of
    > many fallback with the selected font.

    You have a penchant for making uninformed and erroneous statements as though you really knew what you were talking about.

    Notepad does not have *any* logic for doing any kind of script or =
    character fallback.

    Just out of curiousity I copied your web page with charts for 0000-0FFF and pasted it into Notepage on XP with it set to display using a font that supports only Oriya and Latin-1: there was no noticeable delay, and the system displayed all of the scripts except for Lao and Tibetan, which aren't supported on XP.

    Peter Constable

    AUMS_Oriya.PNG